Alternating Hats

I'm nowhere near Finishing the Hat yet, instead I am alternating hats - between being a writer and a producer.  Half the working day is spent calling producers and sending out emails inviting them to come to the showcase and the other half is spent working on a new song and amendments to the book.  I find the easiest way to change gear is to go for a walk.  My nearest park is the Horniman Gardens.  Luckily there are no swings in it and so during the day in the week there are not many people out for a walk and you can sing undisturbed while tramping through the undergrowth.  Walking and working on the beginning of a song is often really helpful - perhaps it is something to do with the rhythm of your stride and being outside where there is no limitation.  I have spoken to a number of lyricists and many of them say the same.

(Finishing the Hat is a book written by Stephen Sondheim about his lyric writing!)

Comments

Popular Posts