Sam Buntrock and Chris Walker

Last week Mercury held another of their wonderful Lionel Bart Memorial masterclasses, this time it was with Sam Buntrock and Chris Walker.

Sam is an energetic and exciting director, who I first heard about when he directed Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George at the Meniere Chocolate Factory in 2006. Among his many credits he has also directed Take Flight and Assassins and has a particular fascination for using animation in theatre.

Chris Walker, talked about his experiences as a West End and Broadway Musical Theatre composer, MD and orchestrator - working on shows like My Fair Lady for Cameron Mackintosh, Cabaret, My Girl, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Old Vic Aladdin.

They gave their opinion on three MMD songs, which was very interesting, especially to hear both a directorial and musical slant on the work.

I really liked a lot of what Sam Buntrock said, especially "I don't like musicals!" He is more interested in musical theatre that flouts the conventions - so am I! But as Chris Walker wisely said - you have to know the conventions before you defy them!

Comments

Popular Posts