RETURN TO OXFORD


Everyone is running round like Widow Twanky getting their Christmas panto’s on. I feel quite panto-less but am looking forward to seeing Dick Whittington at the Hackney Empire before Christmas and also hope to see the Oxford Playhouse Aladdin, directed by Peter Duncan.

My quest to answer the ACE questions has been very productive, in the end. We have a date for the showcase, at the Oxford Playhouse, between 31st March and 6th April!

It feels right that it should be Oxford, in so many ways. Apart from being the birthplace of Janey, and being very important to the musical, Oxford holds a very special place in my heart. I spent a blissful year there in a theatre company, improvising, performing and writing lyrics and scripts. We performed at the Old Fire Station Theatre and I lived in Summertown in a house with 16 Americans. We got our accommodation free and £5 a week to live on. I worked in a pub (I can’t remember its name now) to earn some extra money. It was the last acting job I did and was a turning point for me - a choice between being a writer or an actress. I loved acting, and have played a few parts since, but I know I made the right choice! So I will be returning, after all these years.

Richard Lee at the Jerwood Space has been very patient waiting for our ACE verdict and has even agreed to change the tentative dates we had booked with him, so that they fit the Oxford Playhouse dates. We have also got interest from a touring company, which is marvellous and it will make all the difference to the Arts Council, I am sure.

I delivered my letter with the answers and a letter from Tish Francis to the Arts Council desk myself on Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts